[DYSPHAGIA] "Can't swallow saliva"

  • Subject: [DYSPHAGIA] "Can't swallow saliva"
  • From: SMH_SIS@sfvhr.hnet.bc.ca (SMH_SIS)
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 09:00:48 -0800

	Would use of an artificial saliva substitute / oral lubricant help
him swallow?  Or sucking on a tart candy?   Try taking several successive
swallows of your saliva.... Around the third and fourth swallow it gets
extremely difficult.  And yet we could take several successive sips of water
with no problems.  It would make sense then that xerostomia causing meds and
anxiety could certainly then cause the difficulties he's describing.  I've
never seen research to support this however...

	Colleen Bergen