Modified Barium Swallow Protocol

  • Subject: Modified Barium Swallow Protocol
  • From: pmm@unb.ca (Paul McDonnell)
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 00:18:06 -0400 (AST)

Would anyone be willing to share their protocol for carrying out MBS
studies with children?  I work with developmentally and neurologically
disabled infants and children in a rehab setting.  Because most of them
have been eating orally for months or years before it is felt that a MBS
study is warranted to evaluate their status, we have felt a little less
confined by a protocol which stipulates a small quantity of applesauce,
liquid barium and cookie.  Instead, we ask the parents to provide a variety
of foods typical of the child's normal diet, and we let the parents feed
their own child during the videofluroscopy, generally using the same amount
on the spoon that they would feed the child at home.  Is this what others
are doing?

I'm also wondering about the role of the radiologist.  Do most teams
(radiologist, speech path, OT...) review the video together after the
study?  Who actually writes the report?

Thanks for any comments.