[Dysphagia] VFSS vs FEES

  • Subject: [Dysphagia] VFSS vs FEES
  • From: ict101 at hotmail.co.uk (ict graham)
  • Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 17:02:43 +0100

Comparison between videofluoroscopy and FEES... [Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2010]
Abstract at
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20647120

and
(2007) Assessing penetration and aspiration: how do

videofluoroscopy and fiberoptic endoscopic evaluation of

swallowing compare? Laryngoscope 117(10):1723?1727.
Laryngoscope. 2007 Oct;117(10):1723-7.  Kelly AM,
    Drinnan MJ,
    Leslie P
Assessing penetration and aspiration: how do videofluoroscopy

and fiberoptic endoscopic evaluation of swallowing compare?
Abstract
OBJECTIVES/HYPOTHESIS:

We aimed to investigate whether the type of dysphagia examination

(fiberoptic endoscopic evaluation of swallowing [FEES] or

videofluoroscopy) influences the scoring of penetration and

aspiration.
STUDY DESIGN:

Prospective, single-blind study.
METHODS:

Fifteen dysphagic participants were recruited and underwent one

FEES and one videofluoroscopy examination, performed and

recorded simultaneously. Fifteen independent raters from 12

centers scored penetration and aspiration from recordings using

the Penetration Aspiration Scale. Raters were blind to participant

details, the pairing of the FEES and videofluoroscopy recordings,

and the other raters' scores. Interrater and intrarater reliability were

analyzed using weighted kappa.
RESULTS:

The Penetration Aspiration Scale scores were significantly higher

for the FEES recordings than for the videofluoroscopy recordings

(ANOVA P < .001). The mean difference between the FEES and

videofluoroscopy penetration aspiration scores for the same

swallows was 1.15 points. Interrater and intrarater reliability ranged

from 0.64 to 0.79 (weighted kappa).
CONCLUSIONS:

Penetration aspiration is perceived to be greater (more severe) from

FEES than videofluoroscopy images. The clinical implications are

discussed.

Dysphagia A to Z
www.dysphagiaatoz.com
What's the general consensus on FEES vs MBSS? I have never used FEES, but
have a new collegue who is trained and I wanted to get some other opinions.
I work in a SNF and have always sent my pts to a local hospital for MBSS.
How does FEES compare as far as types of results, accuracy, etc. I know cost
is much less which is very beneficial.
thanks,
Angela