[Dysphagia] passing out/consciousness

Sounds like gustatory syncope:
Neurocardiogenic syncope occurs in predisposed individuals in the
following settings:
?	after prolonged periods of quiet upright posture (such as standing in line)
?	after being in a warm environment (such as in hot summer weather, a
hot crowded room, a hot shower or bath)
?	immediately after exercise
?	after emotionally stressful events (having blood drawn, being scared
or anxious)
?	some individuals get symptoms soon after eating, when blood flow has
shifted to the intestinal circulation during the process of digestion
We are all susceptible to fainting by activation of the vaso-vagal
reflex that results in a lowered blood pressure, however, an
individual?s susceptibility varies day to day based upon genetic
make-up, dietary factors, psychological state, and triggers such as
infection, dehydration, and alcohol intake.
NEJMVolume 328:1572	 	May 27, 1993	 	Number 21

Syncope after Eating

Swallow Syncope, a Case Report and Review of the Literature
Wataru Omi, Yoshiharu Murata, Takanori Yaegashi, Jun-ichiro Inomata,
Masahiko Fujioka, Shingo Muramoto
Cardiology 2006;105:75-79
Swallow syncope is a relatively rare syndrome that is treatable when
diagnosed. A 66-year-old woman was referred to the department of
cardiology because she had been suffering from recurrent syncopal
attacks associated with swallowing. An ambulatory electrocardiogram
revealed atrial and ventricular asystoles immediately after swallowing
soup or tea that were reproducible (max. RR 3.5 s). An
electrophysiological study did not detect sinus nodal or
atrioventricular nodal dysfunction. The patient had no underlying
esophageal disease or cardiac disorder. The patient's symptoms
resolved after permanent pacemaker implantation. This report reviews
the diagnosis, mechanism and management of swallow syncope.
Deglutition syncope causes a woman to pass out after eating a sandwich
Here's a rare case of deglutition syncope.

MedPage Today reports a case study from The Lancet, where a woman kept
fainting after swallowing, particularly after eating a sandwich or
drinking carbonated beverages.

The diagnostic tests were non-revealing for about 10 years, until a
cardiac event monitor was placed on the patient. Whenever she felt the
symptoms, she would press a button and the device would record her
heart rhythm.

It was found that she went into complete heart block during these
instances. After a pacemaker was inserted, she now "could eat
sandwiches with impunity."