[Dysphagia] ropey phlegm

--part1_1a5.baa9826.2afe7c53_boundary

Continuing with our discussion about older patients and the frequency of
esophageal problems, I have a question.  Some patients complain of coughing
up long ropey stringy phlegm, usually whitish in color.  Many of these folks
have suspected esophageal problems.  Some, but not all, have identified
pulmonary issues.  In discussing a particular patient with her MD, the doctor
said, "That phlegm is coming from the lungs because if it was from the
esophagus, there would be food particles in it."  Is that the general rule to
follow?  Also, many of these patients (including the one mentioned above)
report that they cough up this phlegm a few minutes after they begin eating.
I thought there was more of an esophageal link than the MD stated.  What is
your experience with this lovely topic?

Karen

--part1_1a5.baa9826.2afe7c53_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>Continuing with our discussion about older patients and the frequency of esophageal problems, I have a question. &nbsp;Some patients complain of coughing up long ropey stringy phlegm, usually whitish in color. &nbsp;Many of these folks have suspected esophageal problems. &nbsp;Some, but not all, have identified pulmonary issues. &nbsp;In discussing a particular patient with her MD, the doctor said, "That phlegm is coming from the lungs because if it was from the esophagus, there would be food particles in it." &nbsp;Is that the general rule to follow? &nbsp;Also, many of these patients (including the one mentioned above) report that they cough up this phlegm a few minutes after they begin eating. &nbsp;I thought there was more of an esophageal link than the MD stated. &nbsp;What is your experience with this lovely topic?
<BR>
<BR>Karen</FONT></HTML>

--part1_1a5.baa9826.2afe7c53_boundary--