[DYSPHAGIA] anatomy

  • Subject: [DYSPHAGIA] anatomy
  • From: info@interactivetherapy.com (Interactive Therapeutics, Inc.)
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 09:30:21 -0400

Melodie, This is one of my strongest beliefs and those who have had me for
Dysphagia class know this to be true. You have to have a readily
retrievable, working, thorough knowledge of anatomy and physiology of the
normal human body at all ages and stages to understand the disordered
mechanism and therefore disordered functioning. How can you locate
structures; tell abnormal shapes from normal; note phase breaks or describe
what just looks odd; observe what has been resected or spared in
oral/pharyngeal cancer surgery; describe pooling and residuals; etc., etc.,
and most of all, communicate with any intelligence to physicians if you do
not know what you are looking at? Dysphagia is a very visual part of our
profession. We must be able to observe the patient's behavior and in
videofluoroscopy, his or her inner workings as well. We must have a
knowledgeable grasp and a vocabulary to describe what we see and to be able
to plan for treatment.

At 09:45 PM 5/23/00 -0400, you wrote:
>how well should SLP's know the neurophysiology and neuroanatomy of the speech
>and hearing mechanism?  I have discovered that many professionals in both the
>hospital and the schools are not familiar with this material.  Is it solely
>dependent on the nature of the work setting or should this information be
>"common knowledge" for all SLP's?
>-Melodie
-
Cordially,