[DYSPHAGIA] cuffed trachs

Courtny,

Cuffed trachs are used when people are on ventilators.  It makes a closed
system so the venilator can be sure all the air delivered and removed only
enters the lungs and does not go into the upper airway.  These trachs are
likely in dysphagic patients because they were once on a vent.  Most of these
patients have been intubated, have brain injuries, have reduced level of
alertness, or are very weak and all these can be related to dysphagia.  The
trach itself althought can cause some reduced laryngeal excursion, is not
likely the cause of the dysphagia.  See  Steve Leder's article in the recent
Dysphagia Journal.  He looked at normals (no dysphagia) and evaluated
swallowing before and after trach and found no increase in dysphagia.
I have also found that if a patient may require the vent again they will keep
a cuffed trach in for just such an emegency.  You are correct that a cuffed
trach will not prevent aspiration.  As said many times on the listserve by
definition once the food goes below the vocal folds it has already been
aspirated.  Once it is sitting on the cuff it will leak around as the patient
moves.
As for compensatory stratigies it depends on why the patient is aspirating
and what strategies worked during the objective evaluation.

Hope this helps.

David M. Zirlen, M.S. C.C.C.
Speech Pathologist
Zirlen & Zirlen Speech Pathologists
Chester, CT
Waterbury Hospital
Waterbury, CT

In a message dated 6/26/00 9:18:10 PM Eastern Daylight Time,