[DYSPHAGIA] Repair of Zenker's Diverticulum

  • Subject: [DYSPHAGIA] Repair of Zenker's Diverticulum
  • From: bates@midusa.net (Bates)
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 21:29:33 -0500

Has your patient also had a myotomy with the Zenkers surgery?  If he hasn't
he most likely needs it.  The reason he developed the Zenkers in the first
place is most likely the result of poor UES relaxation/opening.  I have had
several patients...those with no myotomy continued to have poor swallows.
Although the Zenkers is removed and material doesn't collect in it, the UES
remains the problem.  Others with myotomy with Zenkers surgery, had WFL
swallows following.
Pat Bates
The Rehab Institute
Kansas City, Mo