laryngospasm

I am curious about any association between laryngospasm and dysphagia (in
patients with ALS).  Do any of you have experience with laryngospasm being
triggered by aversive stimuli?  In this case, by very cold juice or
extremely unpleasant taste (as in the substance taken during the motility
component of a swallow study).  I was speaking with a very experienced
researcher/clinician last night who mentioned the possibility of a "sluggish
epiglottis" in this population, and that the laryngospasm is often triggered
in the reclining position.  However, that is not what is happening to the
individual I am concerned about.  Nor is it likely to be the paradoxical
vocal fold movement that affects athletes, or may otherwise be sports induced!

I look forward to any suggestions.

Ingrid Scholten
Department of Speech Pathology
Flinders University of South Australia