[Date Prev][Date Next]
We have been working on a protocol for nursing to screen for dysphagia, to be
piloted on our trach patients. What we came up with is a modified Fleming
Index, suited to the needs of our facility, followed by seeing if the patient
is able to dry swallow, then proceeding with a tray. Our index is very hard
to pass, and should capture the patient.
References I used include:
1. Baker, DM. Assessment and Management of Impairments in Swallowing.
Nursing Clinics of North America; 1993 Dec; 28(4); 793-805.
2. Beadle L. The Management of Dysphagia in Stroke. Nursing Standard; 1995
Jan; 9(15): 37-39.
3. Dilorio C, and Price ME. Swallowing: An Assessment Guide. American
Journal of Nursing; 1990; 90(7): 38-41.
4. Layne KA, Losinski DS, Zenner PM, and Ament JA. Using the Fleming Index
of Dysphagia to Establish Prevalence. Dysphagia; 1989; 4: 39-42.
5. Layne KA. Feeding Strategies for the Dysphagic Patient: A Nursing
Perspective. Dysphagia; 1990; 5: 84-88.
6. Meehan M. Nursing Diagnosis: Potential for Aspiration. RN; 1992 Jan; 55
7. Price ME, and Dilorio C. Swallowing: A Practice Guide. American Journal
of Nursing; 1990; 90(7): 42-46.
Hope this helps, and good luck!! :)
Jane Riddle, OTR/L
--------------------------( Forwarded letter 1 follows )---------------------
Sent: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 at 13:47:47
To: JHRIDDLE@TAONODE (JHRIDDLE@TAONODE)
Received: from cyberport.com by MVS.HOSP.UKY.EDU (IBM MVS SMTP V3R1) with TCP;
Thu, 27 Jun 96 09:48:03 EST
Received: (from daemon@localhost) by cyberport.com (8.7.5/8.7.3) id HAA22911 for
Received: from ns.morgan.net (firstname.lastname@example.org) by cyberport.com (8.7.5/8.
Received: from nora (port1.morgan.net [22.214.171.124]) by ns.morgan.net (8.6.1
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 08:43:22 -0500
From: nora zarate hodges <email@example.com>
X-Mailer: Mozilla 2.02Gold (Win95; I)
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
We are revising our procedures regarding screening for dysphagia. We wou=
ld like to=20
train our RNs to screen for dysphagia. Is anyone using a screening tool =
in this way?=20
If so, what is it?
nora z=E1rate hodges
speech language pathologist
bowie memorial hospital
bowie, texas 76230